THE first-ever Mr Universal Fitness Body Building Championship takes place tonight at Diamonds of Lusakaís Cosmopolitan Conference Centre.
Zambia Body Building and Fitness Federation President Danny Mkandawire said in an interview that the organiser's budgeted K50 million has not been met yet.
"We have a shortfall of six million, we are hoping to find it by the time we stage the show. We have reached an advanced stage having raised 44 million towards the event," Mkandawire said.
He said the competition is expected to draw about 50 participants from around the country.
Mkandawire said the event will also be graced by two-time Miss South Africa Figure Champion Sarah Green as a guest poser.
"The first ever Mr Universal Fitness contest is on tonight and the preparations are going on well and we so far have confirmed participation from sixteen body builders from outside Lusaka; 10 from the Copperbelt, Five from Luapula and one from Fitness Gym in Choma," Mkandawire said.
And Universal Fitness director Mel Patel pledged continued support to the sport and indicated that the competition will be an annual event.
"This is our first event; we have only been open for six months. We are the first gym to organise a competition of this magnitude where everyone around Zambia can take part. This is the first of the many contests to come; yes this will be an annual event," said Patel.
- Shakafuswa takes tribe to the House
- OPPOSITION MPs SCORE OWN GOAL
- Pontiano picture angers Ngonis
- B3's Marvin dies
- Musicians start campaign to remove Kapwepwe as NAC chairperson
- Kasama court finds Frank Bwalya with case to answer in his defamation of the President case
- It's evil to campaign on tribal lines - Bwalya
- Those dogs, the Watchdogs
- Sakala brother explains decision to serve God
- Kwacha fall on high side - BoZ