COLOMBIAN boxer Lely Luz Florez says she will give Esther Phiri a good run tomorrow in their 10-round world title fight at Mulungushi Int-ernational Conference Centre in Lusaka.
Florez said in an interview at the Southern Sun Ridgeway Hotel in Lusaka yesterday that she has great respect for Phiri but had done her homework on the World International Boxing Association champion.
"I am confident. I have come well prepared and I know Esther Phiri very well and I promise the fans a good fight," Florez said.
"We have watched her fight against Duda Yankovich and have looked closely at her weak points and strong points."
However, the 26-year-old boxer said she could not predict the outcome of the fight.
"It is quite difficult to say because she (Phiri) is a good boxer but we don't think there will be a knockout but if there is, it will be a bonus but we are expecting a good fight," she said.
Florez says she has also put her last fight, when she lost her World Boxing Council title to Monica Acosta of Argentina on unanimous points last September, behind her.
"This time I have better preparation and learnt some lessons and my experience will be key in this fight," she said.
Florez, who has travelled with her coach Josedelo Zuniga, has a professional record of 15 wins and four defeats in 19 fights.
Meanwhile, sports minister Kenneth Chipungu in a statement wished Phiri and her compatriots Kennedy Kanyanta and Hastings Bwalya the best in their respective fights tomorrow.
"I am confident that all professional boxers fighting this Saturday will do their best to bring the much needed pride to the nation, "Chipungu said.
- Shakafuswa takes tribe to the House
- OPPOSITION MPs SCORE OWN GOAL
- ZMAs 2014: An evening of music and awards
- Pontiano picture angers Ngonis
- B3's Marvin dies
- Musicians start campaign to remove Kapwepwe as NAC chairperson
- It's evil to campaign on tribal lines - Bwalya
- Kasama court finds Frank Bwalya with case to answer in his defamation of the President case
- Sakala brother explains decision to serve God
- Those dogs, the Watchdogs