LUSAKA Province MMD youth chairman Chris Chalwe, who was recently jailed for one year for common assault against journalists, has been granted bail worth K20 million in his own recognisance.

In this case, Chalwe stood charged with two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm contrary to section 248 of the Penal Code chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.

In count one, Chalwe is alleged to have assaulted Post journalist Chibaula Silwamba.

Particulars of the offence are that Chalwe on July 29, 2009 in Lusaka assaulted Silwamba, thereby occasioning him actual bodily harm.

In count two, Chalwe was accused of having assaulted Times of Zambia senior reporter Anthony Mulowa.

Magistrate Simusamba last week jailed Chalwe one year with hard labour after convicting him on a charge of common assault.

However, magistrate Simusamba acquitted Chalwe on a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily.

Facts before court was that Chalwe on July 29, 2009 in the Lusaka district did assault Mulowa, thereby occasioning him bodily harm.

Passing judgment, magistrate Simusamba convicted Chalwe on a charge of common assault under section 247 of the Laws of Zambia but acquitted him on the offence of assault occasioning actual bodily harm because the prosecution failed to establish that their was physical harm inflicted on the two victims.

He said the medical reports cast a doubt on his mind.

"I note that the offence committed was of political nature and that it was becoming rampant to our young democracy," he said.

Magistrate Simusamba said Chalwe had a right to appeal within 14 days.

Lusaka senior resident magistrate David Simusamba granted Chalwe bail pending appeal to the High Court in his own recognisance with two working sureties in the like sum and conditions.

Ruling on the bail application in chambers, magistrate Simusamba noted that Chalwe had been on police bond throughout his trial and that he exhibited good conduct regarding the conditions of his bond.